1. Being dehydrated by just 2% impairs your attention, memory and cognitive skills.
Thinking fuzzy? Drink some water! It sounds too simple to work, but research shows time and again just how important hydration is to our health both body and mind. (Source)
2. A speck of brain tissue no larger than a grain table salt contains 100,000 neurons and 1 billion synapses.
In addition… the human brain has more nerve cells than stars in our galaxy…Yep, you have all that going on inside your brain right now! (Source)
3. Your brain can process information as quickly as the world’s fastest car!
Brain information can travel at a rate of 268 miles per hour. This is the same speed as the Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4. (Source)
4. You have as many as 50,000 thoughts per day.
And while some of these thoughts are happy, healthy and productive, research shows a whopping 70% are found to be negative! But don’t let this number get you down, just remember, you have the power to change this statistic one thought at a time by thinking happy thoughts! (Source)
5. Your brain generates enough electricity to power a light bulb.
While awake, your brain produces 12-25 watts of energy. This is enough to power to illuminate a low-wattage LED light. (Source)
6. You have two brains!
Ever hear the expression “Go with your gut?” It’s because you have a “second brain” living in your intestines that contains 100 million neurons which strongly influence mood and behavior. (Source)
7. The brain is the fattiest organ in the body.
“Fathead” may be a crumby insult but it’s actually an accurate description. Your brain weighs about three pounds. While most of that weight is water, 60% of the brain’s of the dry weight is made of lipids, or fat which makes it the fattest organ in the body. (Source)
8. You could fill one wine bottle per minute with the amount of fluid that passes through your brain.
Okay…this sounds gross but anything likened to wine helps give me perspective. About 1,000 milliliters of blood flows through the brain each minute. Which means if you were a vampire in wine the business, you would make bank…by the end of the day you could have two full cases! (Source)
9. The brain flushes out toxins when you sleep.
Sleep! It’s one of the healthiest activities you can do! While you are sleeping the brain does some serious work. Not only does it make repairs and solidify memories for long term storage, sleep also clears brain of toxins, or damaging molecules associated with neurodegeneration. (Source)
10. Your brain patterns are as unique as your fingerprints!
The next time you are feeling unoriginal just remember, there is no one in the world that thinks like you! Researchers at Yale University took pictures of people’s brain activity using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and discovered each image was distinctly unique. This ‘cognitive fingerprint’ can even be used to identify particular individuals. (Source)